SBS News

News > World

Trump Says 'No Timetable,' Iran Shifts to 'Full Offensive' as Endless Standoff Takes Shape

Kim Young-a

Published : Aug 18, 2026 7:47 PM


▲ U.S. President Donald Trump

The United States and Iran have entered a stalemate in the Strait of Hormuz with no breakthrough in sight, as both sides rejected extensions of their ending 60-day memorandum of understanding (MOU) on ending the war.

Speaking to reporters on the 17th local time—the first day after the negotiation deadline expired—U.S. President Donald Trump answered "No" when asked whether the U.S. would extend the wartime MOU with Iran.

In an interview with Fox News, President Trump stated, "Iran must wave the white flag of surrender," adding, "I have not set a timetable (regarding the war with Iran). I am in no rush."

This effectively dismissed speculations that President Trump would hastily arrange an exit strategy from the conflict with Iran ahead of the November midterm elections.

Previously, the U.S. and Iran entered a 60-day negotiation period following the wartime MOU signed on June 18.

However, as both sides continued armed skirmishes, the MOU was rendered virtually meaningless, and the deadline set by the parties officially expired on the 16th, U.S. Eastern Time, marking the 60th day since negotiations began.

Consequently, the U.S. and Iran have entered a deadlock with virtually no visible breakthrough, unable to salvage even a bare-minimum deadline.

Some speculation suggested that President Trump doubted the decision-making authority of Iran's official negotiating team and had separately contacted the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

In his Fox News interview, President Trump confirmed that during negotiations with Iran, there was an unofficial channel of communication with the IRGC, separate from Iran's official negotiation delegation.

However, the Revolutionary Guard promptly refuted President Trump's claim.

IRGC Spokesperson Sardar Mohebi denied the existence of the unofficial negotiating channel mentioned by President Trump, stating, "No talks whatsoever are taking place with the U.S. side."

Iran similarly declared the wartime MOU null and void and expressed a negative stance regarding its extension.

Esmaeil Baghaei, spokesperson for Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, stated in a press briefing, "Iran will not bow to pressure, so-called ultimatums, or deadlines to change its policy," adding, "We will assess developments based on our national interests and national security."

Spokesperson Baghaei particularly emphasized that the MOU has been "deactivated due to blatant violations by the United States."

"The MOU specified that negotiations would be conducted over two issues—the lifting of sanctions and the nuclear issue—for 60 days, and if no conclusion was reached within that period, it would be extended," he said, adding, "Because the U.S. extensively and blatantly violated the terms of the MOU just weeks after signing it on June 18, negotiations never even began."

Baghaei further added that Iranian military authorities are closely monitoring developments and thoroughly tracking all movements.

A high-ranking Iranian official also told Reuters that Iran would shift its military posture against the U.S. to a "full offensive."

The official emphasized, "As Iran is ready to make difficult decisions and take action accordingly, relevant agencies must also prepare for situations that will heighten tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and the region."

Furthermore, the official added that if diplomatic solutions fail, Iran will launch "timely and precise" military attacks to break the U.S. maritime blockade.

At the same time, Iran is reportedly discussing passage and management of the strait with Oman, a country bordering the Strait of Hormuz.

In the process, Iran has openly stated its policy to impose service fees in exchange for guaranteeing the safe passage of vessels.

Regarding this, President Trump targeted Oman—which is currently in talks with Iran—during his Fox News interview, warning with profanity, "If Oman gets in the way, I will bomb them mercilessly."

Nevertheless, efforts to seek diplomatic solutions behind the scenes are still ongoing.

Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and special envoy, said in a Fox News interview the previous day, "While I cannot disclose specific details, dialogues taking place across multiple branches of the U.S. and Iranian governments are probably at their most active level ever."

Türkiye, which shares a border with Iran, also directly intervened in mediation after the negotiation deadline expired.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan urged continued dialogue during a phone call with President Trump on the same day to ease tensions between the U.S. and Iran, according to the Turkish presidential office.

In a statement, the Turkish presidential office reported that President Erdogan emphasized the importance of diplomatic efforts, stating, "Türkiye will continue to support efforts for peace."

(Photo: Yonhap News)